Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How Much Secular Are we???


Greatest of all irony is always found in Indian Society. The issue I am stressing on today is no different. It is assesing on how much secular are we on book and off the book? We infact need not go too far to any riot prone area to asses ourselves. 

Everyone must have atleast once gone through the matrimony advertisement that comes up in sunday edition of Newspapers or matrimony websites in internet. We are also not unaware of the fact the way it is divided into religion, caste, communities. Last sunday I just went through the matrimony section, earlier I never paid any kind of interest, but I found a divided India infront of me. 

All credit to these newspapers who claim to be the face of nation, the way they divide us. I in fact had no problem finding a girl of my religion, my caste, and my community. The greatest fun factor was that I searched by religion without looking into even girl's name. The girl's character, education are secondary in selection process, the primary was religion.  

We buy this ideal from market, we follow this ideal to decide the most important decision of life i.e marriage but we still send our kids to school where the kid pledges to protect the preamble of India. Have we failed to emerge as a secular state? Do the promises we make at school are only to score marks? Why donot we show courage to fight this? 

There is no point blaiming these advertisements, they are there to sell what we buy. We call it as 21st Century confused India.

1 comment:

Jyoti Ranjan said...

definitely we are not secular yet...but we are fast catching up...taking into account the number of love marriages we see in our society.May be ppl despise these activities today...but its definitely not going to happen 10-20 years from now. Though its a disturbing fact that it still has its roots intact.