Thursday, February 19, 2009

How I spent the Extra Second of 2008......


23:59:60 vs 00:00:00

Please look at time in figure carefully.This is a very interesting fact that most of us donot know. In 2008 we actually got One second extra, the last minute was 61 secs. We do always complain for extra time to God, but many of us didn't even realized that we had missed one second  that was rewarded.

This is fact and no fantacy. The second that we got was a leap second. A leap second is a second, as measured by atomic clock, added to or subtracted from Coordinated Universal Time ( UTC) to make it agree with astronomical time to within 0.9 second. it compensates for slowing in earth's rotation due to earthquakes and other factors and is added during the end of June or December.

I was well aware of this fact in the eve of new year last year and was thinking of what to do in that one second that I would remember for ever. Then I was struck with an idea, I am always troubled by the clock ticking and running away. So I decided to score over the clock by switching off my watch for one second. In this way I kept myself updated with correct time at the same time and at the same time took off all my anger on 24 hr funda.

Friends, if you want to know when we will again get a second extra again, do visit the website of International Earth Rotation and Reference System twice in a year in the month of January and July. They do publish the update, six months prior to event. So next time you have atleast six months to plan how to spent this one second extra....... God is Great


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting Be..
I dint knw this funda...
Nice one..COntinue Cocodee

Ram Narayan Subudhi said...

quite interestin...

bt frankly i doubt de fact tat u knew it b4hand n didnt let us knw abt it till now...

btw,thnx 4 d info...

keep writin such interestin stuff rather dan abt things which evry1 knws .....

Unknown said...

quite an interesting fact..